Welcome to the New VHS Website!
We hope you enjoy the new layout and features for the newly redesigned Vermont Historical Society website. Please note that some content is still being migrated and may be temporarily unavailable.
How do I login as a VHS Member?
VHS members should now use the new communal login provided via email. If you need the login, please contact Diane Campbell, email@example.com, (802) 479-8503.
You will need to login to access content for the latest issue of Vermont History and for using the Sanborn maps. The login box for those pages is located on the sidebar. Once you enter the login information, a green button will appear in the same box that you will click to be taken to the members page.
Why am I seeing black boxes and/or blank parts of a page?
Certain features on the website may not work with older browsers, especially Internet Explorer. We recommend updating your browser, or switching to a different browser.
What are “Vermont Stories?”
This section contains presentations on Vermont history in different formats including our podcast, “Before Your Time,” our TV series “This Place in History,” the books we publish, articles we have written for Vermont Magazine, and the radio program we produced in the 1980s, “Green Mountain Chronicles.”
Where are some of my favorite items?
Here’s where to find some of our most-used resources. We also recommend the search box at the top of each page for finding a favorite resource. It will even provide suggested pages!
- Vermont History journal: under the “Discover” tab. Old issues are available for all to read. For the latest issue, VHS members should use the new login provided via email.
- Sanborn Maps: under the“Discover” tab in the “Digital Resources” section. VHS members should use the new login provided via email.
- VT History Explorer: under the “Learn” tab. Please note that the Explorer website is temporarily unavailable.
- Vermont Women’s History Database: The database is temporarily unavailable. It will return in a searchable print format while we investigate long-term database upgrades.
- Green Mountain Chronicles: under “Discover" tab in the "Vermont Stories" section.
- VHS Library Catalog: Additional Library information may be found under the “Visit” tab within the “History Center & Library” section; digital resources that you can use on your computer may be found within “Digital Resources” under the “Discover” tab.
- VHS Online Store: Click the “Shop” link on the upper right-hand corner of any page to visit our online bookstore.
Civil War Soldiers Photographs: have been moved to the Vermont in the Civil War web site.